Saturday 14 September 2013

#SBBC Day 11: How Did "Red Lips, Red Hair"Get Its Name?

Red Lips, Red Hair is the second name my blog has had. When I first started this blog, I was under the moniker of "The Power Of Bilocation", whereby I felt that I could be in two places at once, because of my online space.

Most of you know I struggled badly with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and generally a bad few years (and to be fair sometimes I still do). Something changed in me when I felt myself getting better. I was always afraid of red lipstick, for some reason I felt too shy to wear it. Yet, as I felt myself getting stronger and more confident, I found myself wanting to rock a red lip.

"Damn it, I am a strong, confident woman and I have had my share of shit hit the fan, so why shouldn't I wear whatever I want to!!", was the thought process for the most part. So I went out, got a red lipstick and liner, and rocked it. Ever since then, my blog has had its Red Lips.

The red hair part:

I was in a pretty bad relationship a few years back. I had been wanting to go back to my ginger roots for a while, and when I would voice it to him he always said that I would be unattractive and ugly with red hair. I listened, like a fool. When I got out of that relationship I believed that the best thing was to stay dark-haired. While I was staying dark haired, I was also growing out my roots up top. Then one day I went into the hair dressers a purple haired emo kid, and came out with a pixie cut that was ginger and joyful. I loved it. I did have to go back for another chop to get the last of the damage off, though. It was a great experience. I'm a redhead and I am proud.

Red Lips, Red Hair is the reminder that I can do whatever the eff I want to, because I am strong and I surround myself with people who love me for the Ginger nut that I am.

Amy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it, and will always try to reply to you! You can always tweet me for the banter, too @redlips_redhair...

Amy,
xx